List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n]different locale naming schemes between libc and X...
From:       Jungshik Shin <jshin () mailaps ! org>
Date:       2002-03-28 21:59:15

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Andre Charbonneau wrote:

> a Linux system.  I experienced some X problems on my Linux system when I
> set my environmen variables to a locale using the notation that
> explicitly defines the character set, such as:

> export LC_ALL=fr_CA.ISO-8859-1
>
> I did some investigation and found out that the problem is caused by the
> differences in the way locale-related environment variables are treated
> between libc and X.  In X, there is no such thing as fr_CA.ISO-8859-1,
> you have to use fr_CA.ISO_8859-1 or fr_CA.iso88591 instead.

  It's not very consistent. For instance, there are entries like
fr_FR.ISO-8859-1, es_ES.ISO-8859-1 in addition to fr_FR.ISO_8859-1,
fr_FR.iso88591, en_ES.iso88591, en_ES.ISO_8859-1.  while fr_CA.ISO-8859-1
is not there. As for EUC-KR and EUC-JP, ja_JP.EUC-JP along with
ja_JP.(eucJP|EUC|EUC_JP) is there, but ko_KR.EUC-KR is not present
although there are  other variants of ko_KR.EUC-KR
ko_KR.(EUC|euckr|euc|eucKR)

> My questions are the following:
>
> 1. Does anyone know if entries in 'libc' form will be added to X's
> locale.alias in the near future?

  How about preparing a patch and submitting it to fixes@xfree86.org?
It doesn't take long :-)

> 2. Is there documentation somewhere that explicitly defines the mapping
> between libc and X charset names?  For example:
>
>     X                    libc
>     ISO8859-1        ISO-8859-1
>     eucJP                EUC-JP

  glibc maintainers seem to want to standardize on preferred
MIME names for existing encodings such as ISO-8859-1, EUC-JP, EUC-KR
and UTF-8. Therefore, perhaps it's not a bad idea to make them
available across all locales in X locale.alias ?

   Jungshik Shin