List:       xfree-i18n
Subject:    Re: [I18n]Luit fix for EUC charsets
From:       Juliusz Chroboczek <jec () dcs ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-06 15:44:27

TK> Another improvement is to accept UTF-8 locales.  In such case,
TK> luit will work as "doing-nothing-filter".

Sorry, perhaps my last message wasn't clear.  Luit cannot ``do
nothing,'' it still needs to scan the UTF-8 for ISO 2022 escape
sequences.  But it has to do that in a non-blocking manner -- remember
it's single-threaded -- and hence needs to buffer any incomplete
character it may be seeing.

Once you provide the ability to buffer up to 4 characters (UTF-8), you
might as well implement generic variable-length encoding support,
which is why I'm planning to do both UTF-8 and GB variants (and throw
in ShiftJIS for good measure) at the same time.

                                        Juliusz