List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    [Fonts] Re: After-XTT's extension of the encoding field.
From:       "T.SHIOZAKI" <tshiozak () bsdclub ! org>
Date:       2003-09-04 18:26:18

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <jch@pps.jussieu.fr>
Subject: Re: [Fonts] After-XTT's extension of the encoding field.
Date: 04 Sep 2003 17:17:59 +0200

> TTCap was based on the IMHO erroneous assumption that it is better to
> hack extensions to fonts.dir rather than provide an extensible
> database for font-related information.  Today, we do have just such an
> extensible database: fontconfig.
>
> As far as the implementation goes, TTCap lives in the font backend,
> which implies that somebody got the layering wrong.

You slightly mistake the fact.

I (as the inventor of TTCap) intended TTCap to be just kludge.
I did not get the layering wrong and not assume something erroneous,
but just intentionally ignored the layering.
Actually, I also guess TTCap is not elegant but ugly.
However it has been giving surely powerful and practical solution to
CJK (at least Japanese) people.

> I do not deny that TTCap does work around real problems.  However, I
> do not believe that TTCap is something we want to follow.

It seems for me that not a few users still need TTCap (and X-TT)
and several persons want to continue supporting it, although I do not
know whether it is better TTCap to be retained more or to be expanded
into other backends.  I wonder "we" are not homogeneous.

# I intend not to say anything more.

--
Takuya SHIOZAKI