List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts] DPI selection issues. Also, resolved: Bizarre font problems
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-12-09 18:51:20

On Monday 09 December 2002 5:18 am, Alexey Spiridonov wrote:
[...]
|  On an unrelated note, XFree was also deciding that my screen's
| resolution is 88x89 dpi without any indication on my part of that being the
| case (no DisplaySize line in XF86Config). That is a bad practice, since it
| resulted in TT fonts being rendered very poorly (stretched). I think XFree
| should not guess assymmetric DPIs no matter what, and, better yet, stick to
| 75 or 100 dpi for the default.

It's a _feature_, it's not a bug (X can detect correct values for your
display/graphics adpater, using VESA specs, AFAIK)!
If you want to *override* those dpi settings - set dpi for your X server
manually.

As about rendeing of your fonts - it can be good idea to use well-hinted
PostScript Type1 fonts (not TrueType fonts), and make sure that:
* you have FreeType-2.1.3 installed
* your XFree86 compiled not with own FreeType copy (it may have it), but with
external FreeType (shared library)

To be sure that you have only one copy of Freetype installed, and it's the
latest one, run:
$ locate libfreetype.so

You should get something like this:
/usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.2

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released