List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts]Fcpackage release candidate 1
From:       Bradley T Hughes <bhughes () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-08-01 18:34:26

On Thursday 01 August 2002 19:26, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 18 o'clock on Aug 1, Bradley T Hughes wrote:
> > I have kept the code in qpainter_x11.cpp as is, using XRender* calls
> > directly.  Clipping and such things are working now, so why break
> > them, right? :)
>
> Please don't use XRender calls directly -- that means Xft2 won't be
> usable on servers which don't support Render.  I can export an
> XftDrawSetClipRectangles call if you like; the alternative is to simply
> construct an X region from your list of X rectangles and use the
> existing XftDrawSetClip call.

I don't use XRender calls anywhere Xft should be used.  Qt has been
supporting simple image compositing through raw XRender calls, and I don't
see the point of doing this through Xft.

Also, Qt doesn't use Xft unless the RENDER extension is present.  This is
because Qt has always done it's own core font loading/matching etc
(especially since it will compose several fonts together to cover as many
unicode ranges as needed).

> The huge advantage of Xft2 is this ability to work with legacy servers;
> applications gain the benefit of client-side fonts without this
> unnecessary dependency.  Please don't eliminate this by careless mixing
> of abstractions.

So how does this work?  Rendering the glyphs into 1bit pixmaps, and then
drawing them somehow?

> > Unfortunately for us, this is not an option.  Some people simply do
> > not upgrade their XFree86 installation if they can avoid it.  I have
> > managed to make both Xft1 and Xft2 work though, with a bit of fudgery
> > :)
>
> Xft2 and fontconfig are being released separately; if necessary, you can
> distribute those libraries with Qt.  Alternatively, you can make Qt
> build only in the presense of Xft2 and ignore systems with Xft.  System
> vendors should not have a problem with that.  Xft2/fontconfig are on a
> separate release schedule from XFree86 making it possible to update them
> independently.

We will have to evaluate this more later.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway