List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts]Font matching with generic family names and language groups
From:       Keith Packard <keithp () keithp ! com>
Date:       2002-06-28 18:52:46

Around 9 o'clock on Jun 28, Brian Stell wrote:

> For Mozilla I add the "family + language-group" as this seems the
> closest match. The "family (any-language-group)" was added when
> I observed that some X fonts cover larger code sets by
> "subsetting" a larger font; eg:

This is (fortunately) not a significant problem with client-side fonts;
I haven't ever seen anyone take a TrueType font and split it into pieces
like this.

> I have primarily seen this in use for Japanese users who want to be able to
> specify the fonts used for JISX0201 and JISX0212.

Hmm.  I have less experience (oddly) with these encodings; are there
generally separate TrueType files for these?

> My impression is that the better fonts have set the CodePageRange
> bits. If no bits are set I "default" the font's lang by setting the
> Latin-1 bit.

I've gathered the same impression, but that's only valid for TrueType
fonts.  I'm building some code to generate lang tags based on coverage of
the unicode codepoints referenced from the original code pages; that should
be pretty reliable for non-Han languages; my plan is to try to make some
educated guesses for Han languages and hope it works.  When it fails, I'll
go and add some override capabilities in the font configuration file.

Just setting Latin-1 is pretty harsh; I've only got Type1 files for WadaLab
Gothic.

> It does report on a few TrueType fonts out of the several
> hundred I have; but not on any of the "professional" grade that
> I have seen.

I need to have lang for every font to make my matching stuff work; let's
see how well my current scheme plays out.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab