List:       xfree-fonts
Subject:    Re: [Fonts] Complex text layout and mapping screen coordinates
From:       Brian Stell <bstell () ix ! netcom ! com>
Date:       2002-02-26 7:20:12

Keyur Shroff wrote:
> ... a separate request need to be sent
> for each character (or glyph?) code over the wire.

I believe the Xrender extension allows a string to be
sent in one request with individual x,y positions for
each glyph so the data difference is small (ie: no packet
header/trailer per char/glyph). Either way the amount of
data is small compared to images.

For me the data bandwidth seems minor compared to the fact
that X server upgrades take years to get into the field.

These great new features will be only be usable years after
other systems have them.

Technology seems to continue to evolve. It would be nice
if X had a chance to be relatively current.

Thus to me it seems better to keep the X server simple
and put the complexity at the client.

--
Brian Stell