List:       xerces-p-dev
Subject:    Re: Doctype attributes, and formatting in the DOM
From:       jason () openinformatics ! com (Jason E !  Stewart)
Date:       2001-07-31 23:58:09

Hey Ken,

Glad to hear that things are finally going your way.

"Rodent of Unusual Size" <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com> writes:

> Aha.  Now I just need to figure out how to get a handle on that
> <lexicon/> element createDocument() added so I can futz with
> it.. found it, getDocumentElement().  Man, wading through the docco
> to find that was a pain.  This stuff is clearly written for people
> who are already very familiar with XML and the DOM. :-(

Ah... That is actually quite a good point. There really is no tuturial
for for XML, DOM, or SAX in Xerces, so if you don't know it, then your
SOL. I hadn't thought about that. I've pretty much taught myself XML
over the past two years, so I forget what it's like.

In terms of using DOM to do anything, I'd look at the DOM-related
tests in t/. They'll give you a clue as to how I do it. Remember that
I've made some perl specific adjustments that you can read in the
README about anything that returns NodeList's or NamedNodeMap's (who
wants ugly heavy-weight C++ objects when you can get nice perl arrays
and hashes). Also getElementsByTagName() and getElementById() are your
friend.

> On which list are you going to bring up the documentation issue?

This one. More on that later.

jas.