List:       xerces-p-dev
Subject:    Re: make test errors
From:       jason () openinformatics ! com (Jason E !  Stewart)
Date:       2004-01-30 4:50:51

Hi Lincoln,

Whoa!! I found this rotting in my drafts box. Looks like I went to SF
to test their MacOS X boxes and your message got lost...

"Lincoln A. Baxter" <lab@lincolnbaxter.com> writes:

> Do you thinkg this is a problem at the system level, or at that perl
> level.   Since most of these seem to work (all but 72 of the 35,000), I
> am leading toward a problem with the character set definition at a
> system level.

Hi Lincoln,

Since these test work on the systems I have immediate access to, I've
never been able to really investigate it much. I have to admit that I
almost completely Unicode ignorant - I learned enough about it to add
support for it into XML-Xerces: Perl uses an internal UTF8 encoding
and Xerces-C uses UTF16, so I have to use a transcoder to pass strings
back and forth. I don't actually understand how or where the character
pages are defined - is it part of the linux kernel, or is it something
that is affected by which linux distribution you are running?

MacOS X is *really* bad - all the tests fail.

One thought would be to set the LANG variable to something different
and see if that affects anything - I use plain en_US as my setting and
I've never actually tested other settings.

I'd be happy to find out what is causing this, so to help others fix
it.