List:       xerces-j-user
Subject:    xerces, eclipse, and the endorsed standards mechanism
From:       "michael sorens" <msorens () softhome ! net>
Date:       2005-11-17 3:28:33

I am puzzled over the endorsed standards mechanism with regard to Eclipse 3.1.
I added xercesImpl.jar, xml-apis.jar, and xalan.jar to the endorsed directory in \
*both* jre and jdk trees, then removed those jars from my CLASSPATH environment \
variable.

 From the command-line, I am able to compile and execute a simple test program. From \
eclipse, however, it fails on both counts, not finding the needed xerces classes. And \
yet running the EnvironmentCheck tool from Xalan clearly shows that the jars are on \
my bootclasspath. If I explicitly add the above 3 jar files to my java build path in \
eclipse, then it compiles and executes fine.

Can anyone explain this quirk?