List:       xerces-j-dev
Subject:    Re: Xerces-j 1.4.4: whitespace alignment when adding a DOM node
From:       Michael Glavassevich <mrglavas () ca ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2005-09-13 3:12:58

Hi Steve,

It's been a long time since I've looked but I don't think there's a
XMLPrinter class in Xerces-J 1.4.4 (which is a pretty ancient release
now). If you're just starting to use Xerces I recommend Xerces-J 2.7.1 [1]
released in July. It includes an XML serializer [2] which can be
configured for pretty printing [3].

Thanks.

[1] http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/
[2]
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/other/org/apache/xml/serialize/XMLSerializer.html
 [3]
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/javadocs/other/org/apache/xml/serialize/OutputFormat.html#setIndenting(boolean)

"Richardson, Steven" <srichardson@sonusnet.com> wrote on 09/12/2005
06:28:10 PM:

> Hi:
>
> Newbie question:
>
> When adding a new DOM node, and subsequently saving the DOM to a a
> file, what is it that controls the whitespace formatting of the
> newly added node?
> I see a case where the newly added node information is missing any
> kind of whitespace alignment (i.e. it is placed at the correct
> location hierarchically but appears as one long blob).  It looks
> like the modified Document is output via XMLPrinter.print() method.
>
> Thanks, Steve

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab