List:       xerces-j-dev
Subject:    XHTML within <xs:document> element?
From:       Brian Atkins <brian_atkins () firehunter ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 23:08:51

Hi,

I'm trying to embed XHTML markup in the <xs:documentation> nodes
of my schema, for later extraction by XSLT (xalan, in this case).
However, the XHTML gets stripped out.

The definition of xs:documentation is "any", with default processing
of "strict" and namespace if "##ANY".  Even with the processing
of "strict", the only validation possible is for well formed XML,
is it not?  I would expect either an error of the XHTML wasn't
well formed, or the markup to be passed through.  Thus, I can't
understand the current behavior of no error, but all XHTML
markup being removed from the result tree.

I have tried various methods using xsl:copy and xsl:copy-of.  In some
cases I get the documentation tag as well as the content (with XHTML
markup intact) in the result tree.  In other cases, I get just the content
(not the documentation tag), but with the XHTML tags removed.

The result of the stylesheet should be pure XHTML.  Since the
xs:documentation tag isn't part of XHTML, I really don't want to pass
it through.  I can't seem to get both the lack of the documentation tag,
but with the markup.

The xsl:copy/copy-of elements say they convert the content to a string
unless it is a node tree.  Wouldn't the XHTML marked up text constitute
a node tree?  Is there any other way to take random markup from a source
document and pass it to the result tree without processing via XSLT?

Thanks!
Brian
--
Brian Atkins          brian_atkins@firehunter.com         (970) 288-2114
Agilent Technologies     4800 Wheaton Drive        Ft. Collins, CO 80525