List:       xerces-c-users
Subject:    Re: Problem building Xerces 2.8.0 under Cygwin / Windows
From:       Lars Uffmann <lars.uffmann () dlr ! de>
Date:       2008-01-10 9:43:54

David Bertoni wrote:
> --bindir might work, but I've never tried it before.  On the other hand,
> I'm not sure you want to copy a bunch of executables there.  Why don't
> you just modify the path?
Actually I was not making myself clear :) I didn't wanna copy the
executables there, just the dynamic link libraries. And yes, modifying
the path would work, I suppose - if I make sure all new
packages/libraries I install under cygwin put their libraries in the
same place - otherwise adding a new path everytime would sort of defy
the idea behind this.

>>> The Cygwin binaries are built to be run within the Cygwin
>>> environment, so the environment takes care of the symlinks, etc.  If
>>> you really want to run Xerces-C binaries outside of Cygwin, you might
>>> try using Mingw, or just using the free version of Visual Studio.

Visual Studio is absolutely out of the question :) No M$ products
whenever I can avoid it. No, I'm not a general Microsoft hater, I do
appreciate the one good software that has come out of Redmond, being MS
Access ;) But apart from that, yes, Microsoft is teh shit *g*

> Not necessarily true.  The Xerces-C binaries built under cygwin will
> have a dependency on the Cygwin DLL, so the target machine will need to
> have Cygwin installed.  Mingw does not link against anything other than
> the Microsoft run-time libraries, so you don't need Cygwin with it.

That's an argument in favour of using MinGw, but so far, it seems all I
need to do to run cygwin-built applications on other systems, is the
cygwin1.dll - or was that just working because I tested a very simple
(network socket  demonstration) and I will run into more problems once I
use more funcionality?

Thanks again!

     Lars

--