List:       xerces-c-dev
Subject:    RE: DOM requiring schema features/was Xalan-C: thoughts after two
From:       "Arnold, Curt" <Curt.Arnold () hyprotech ! com>
Date:       2000-06-29 21:37:01

Whoa.  Not being able to do event based validation would be
a killer design flaw in schemas in my estimation.  However,
I am not aware of a feature that requires a DOM.  If so,
then at least there needs to be two profiles, one that
can be validated without constructing a DOM and one that
requires a DOM.

Now to the details, what features do you think require
a DOM.  key, keyref and unique would seem to be obvious
features, however an event based validator could build
up a lists of known keys, unique values and forward keyrefs
and throw any validation error when a duplicate unique value
is encountered or when the EndDocument is received and there
are still forward keyrefs.