List:       xerces-c-dev
Subject:    Re: How do I use Xerces strings?
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2006-03-09 10:00:27

On Thursday 09 March 2006 04:18, Lumir Vanek wrote:
> Agrree. This is clearly described here:
> http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/build-misc.html#XMLChInfo

Thank you. I had been lookind for that when I started this thread. I didn't
realize it was under the build FAQ.  It would appear that the C++ correct
approach would be to create a C++ string class for XMLCh and provide
corresponding codecvt functionality to go between the native encoding and
UTF-16.  I posted a message on comp.std.c++ suggesting that UTF support be
specifically be required for UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32 in the next C++.

I am confident that the goal of the C++ Standards Committee was to avoid
restricting the implementation to any given character encoding. The goal of
the W3C was certainly to ensure interoperability between systems.

I'm still a bit unsure as to where the problem arrises.  Xerces shouldn't care
what the internal data representation is, so long as UTF-16 is read in
correctly, and exported correctly.  To my way of thinking, something is
clearly wrong with the current state of affairs.  Where exactly the problem
lies is not exactly clear.  I suspect, however, the problem is with the C++
Standard.

Steven