List:       xerces-c-dev
Subject:    Re: How do I use Xerces strings?
From:       "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons () globalsymmetry ! com>
Date:       2006-03-09 8:19:17

On Thursday 09 March 2006 02:08, David Bertoni wrote:

> What does this simply program output on your system and compiler?

wchar_t is 32 bits on my system.  I believe that a 16 bit storage unit will
under normal circumstances occupy a 32 bit memory location, but only use half
of it.

> I'm not sure anyone has ever said that Xerces-C and Linux wchar_t "don't
> get along."  The problem is that Xerces-C encodes string data in UTF-16
> internally, and using wchar_t to hold UTF-16 code points is not portable.

Why does Xerces-C use a non-standard data type?  If my implementation doesn't
support a particular locale, and therefore does not use a 16 bit or larger
data type, then what are the chances that I would use Xerces-C to support
such a character set?

Steven