List:       xerces-c-dev
Subject:    Re: Packaging Xalan and Xerces into one DLL
From:       "David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM" <david_n_bertoni () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-05-30 20:34:12

You should probably read the licensing agreement, and consult with a lawyer
if you don't understand it.  The license appears in the source code and in
the distributions.

With that disclaimer, I'll say that the license is very liberal, and there
should be no problem with building the two pieces together into one DLL
(provided you comply with the licensing requirements).

You'll still have to make sure that you application code linked against the
static runtime library never deletes a pointer it obtained from Xerces or
Xalan.  This is compilicated by the fact that many Xerces and Xalan
pointers are allocated and deleted by inline member functions, which would
mean they would be allocated by the static runtime heap.

This sort of thing is very tricky to pull off, which is why Microsoft
themselves recommend against it.

Dave

                                                                                      \

                      "Jojo Bangit"                                                   \

                      <dbangitjr@hotma         To:      <xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org> \

                      il.com>                  cc:      (bcc: David N \
                Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: Packaging Xalan and Xerces \
                into one DLL
                      05/30/2002 01:12                                                \

                      PM                                                              \

                      Please respond                                                  \

                      to xerces-c-dev                                                 \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

    Hi.  Is one allowed to build a DLL with all the Xalan and Xerces files
in it?  We have an application that statically links to the MSVCRT and MFC
libraries.  All support DLLs also statically link any MS library they use
to avoid having to redistribute them with the application.  Versioning has
always been a problem with these DLLs so to avoid the problems completely
we just statically link them in.  Unfortunately, statically linking MSVCRT
to the Xalan and Xerces DLLs separately does not work because the two share
heap pointers when working together.  So the only solution is to package
them in the same DLL.  I already have a VC6 project that packages the Xalan
and Xerces files into one DLL and that also statically links the MSVCRT
library.  I just want to know if there are any licensing issues with
regards to doing that.  This is the first time we're using Xalan and Xerces
so we're unsure of what we can and can't do with it.  If there are other
ways of doing what I what I want to do please let me know too.
    Thanks.