List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] XEN, FreeRTOS, SAFERTOS
From:       Phillip Susi <psusi () ubuntu ! com>
Date:       2018-09-05 12:50:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On 9/4/2018 7:19 PM, Cohen, Michele wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw wiki on security and XEN considering adding FreeRTOS.  I was wondering if \
> SAFERTOS had been considered as extension to increase integrity?

FreeRTOS/SafeRTOS is a light weight ( and not very well designed ) task
switcher for embedded systems.  How is it in any way related to Xen?

> SAFERTOS is based on the functional model of the FreeRTOS kernel, however, it is \
> not the FreeRTOS kernel. It has been completely re-designed by a team of functional \
> safety experts at WHIS. Their engineers took the FreeRTOS kernel functional model, \
> subjected it to a full HAZOP, and generated a set of safety requirements. The \
> resulting functional and safety requirements sets were put through an IEC 61508-3 \
> SIL 3 development life cycle, creating the SAFERTOS code base and DAP. \
> https://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-Plus/Safety_Critical_Certified/SafeRTOS.shtml

As far as I have seen, the only difference is that SafeRTOS has had many
of its object creation routines changed to take a pointer to a static
buffer instead of making heap allocations because some egg heads think
that any heap allocation must be forbidden in embedded systems.