List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] Single NIC, multiple ip addresses
From:       Simon Hobson <linux () thehobsons ! co ! uk>
Date:       2017-08-21 21:39:21

Liam Kirsher <liamk@numenet.com> wrote:

> Need some help here, and I really hope this is the right place to ask!
> It seems like it should be simple.  I just need to have a single XenServer

Don't know anything about Xenserver and any differences from "plain Xen" in \
management ...

> , single NIC, with VMs having multiple different IP addresses.
> I have a XenServer 6.2 with two NICs: NIC0 and NIC1.  But I'm only getting \
> connected to NIC0 from the ISP. The dom0 is set up with like this.
>
> address 162.x.x.13
> gateway 162.x.x.1
> netmask 255.255.255.24
> network 162.x.x.x0
>
> The ISP has given me additional ip addresses to use in the same subnet for a couple \
> of VMs.
> I'm using XenCenter.  What I think I need to do and have tried, is
> 1. Create a Network (calling it "VLAN 100") on dom0 using XenCenter, attached to \
> NIC 0, with VLAN setting (I'm using 100, but it seems arbitrary).

OK, there's your first mistake - unless you have a rather unusual setup then you do \
not need VLANs and your networking will not work if you try.

To achieve what you want is simple :

Define a bridge :
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
  bridge_ports eth0
  address 162.x.x.13
  netmask 255.255.255.24
  gateway 162.x.x.1

(I think you already have this)

That will get your host online, plus it will create you a bridge (virtual network \
switch) you can connect your DimUs to.

Now in your DomU config, define one virtual NIC connected to that bridge. In the DOmU \
itself, configure the NIC to have a fixed address as provided by your ISP - basically \
configure it as though it was a standalone machine connected to the ISP (the Dom0 \
doesn't really play any part in the networking other than to run the bridge).