List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] Removing old glpv windows drivers to install new -> inaccessible boot device
From:       Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant () citrix ! com>
Date:       2015-10-30 9:51:30

Miniport is just a Windows driver programming paradigm and doesn't mean a lot without \
qualification. However, looking at the KB article it seems that the subject is our \
old friend that 0x7B BSOD. In Xen PV driver installations this usually occurs when \
there is an incomplete driver installation or removal such that the 'master' PV \
driver (the Xen Project drivers actually have two: XENBUS and XENFILT) has requested \
unplug of the emulated disks, but the PV disk driver (the Xen Project one is called \
XENVBD) is missing. This means Windows has no system disk and the BSOD is the result.

The usual way to recover from this is to boot into safe mode (most PV drivers, \
including the Xen Project ones, will be disabled in this mode) and clean up the \
registry to get things back into a consistent state. Unfortunately you really need to \
know your way around the drivers you're trying to remove to be able to do this but \
blowing way all the service keys (under HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services) for \
drivers you no longer want will usually do the trick.

  Paul