List:       xen-users
Subject:    [Xen-users] PVonHVM, Networking and xentop
From:       David Sutton <pere () kantras ! info>
Date:       2012-10-25 17:39:50

All,

  I have a domU running Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64bit using PVonHVM which is working well \
but I noticed a quirk and just wanted to check it wasn't just my misunderstanding. On \
my dom0 (Arch Linux, 64bit, AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 CPU, Xen 4.2.0 from my own PKGBUILD) \
I run "xl top" and xentop loads and shows all the currently running domains; only \
none of the domains have anything showing for network statistics (0's for NETS, NETTX \
and NETRX). I see Disk statistics for the two domU's; one is running Windows 7 and \
only shows that the VBD is allocated (1 VBDS, 0's for stats, but running the windows \
PVHVM drivers conflicted with the graphics drivers so wasn't expecting stats). The \
other domU is the Ubuntu one and it shows both the VBD and stats for it.

  I've been reviewing the configuration, in case I had mis-specified something, \
however it looks okay:

# Virtual Disk/Net
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:3A:53:21,bridge=extbr0,vifname=websrv' ]

  I also checked the messages on the domU as well:

$ ( ethtool -i eth0 | grep driver && dmesg | grep -i "netfront" && dmesg | grep -i \
                "virtual ethernet" )
driver: vif
[    0.000000] Netfront and the Xen platform PCI driver have been compiled for this \
kernel: unplug emulated NICs. [    0.718539] Initialising Xen virtual ethernet \
driver.

  So, should there be disk statistics showing up under xentop? I happened to notice \
as I was troubleshooting another issue ( xl create was returning errors about \
networking but it was actually because I had set a bad keymap in the config; it \
booted ok once  I had fixed the keymap line )

Regards,

  David