List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VMWare comparison paper
From:       Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-25 0:14:35

Hello James,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:25 PM, James Harper
<james.harper@bendigoit.com.au> wrote:
>> Hello Admin,
>>
>> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM, =A0<admin@xenhive.com> wrote:
>> > I'm guessing that the benchmarks were run without any optimized
>> > drivers for Windows under Xen. =A0That would be the only way to explain
>> > the dismal performance. =A0Windows is known to perform poorly under Xen
>> > if you simply install Windows and don't install optimized drives. =A0In
>> > all fairness, Windows performs poorly on native hardware if you don't
>> > install optimized drivers, so testers should expect to have to install
>> > optimized drivers when testing Windows regardless of the environment.
>> > I have emailed them about this, and I will post anything I hear back f=
rom
>> them.
>>
>> I'm rather curious here because you said "optimized drivers" rather than
>> saying "GPLPV." =A0Is there a choice of [better than stock] drivers for a
>> Windows HVM DomU that I'm not aware of? =A0I ask because GPLPV doesn't
>> quite work for me yet in all situations.
>>

> If they were running the Citrix branded Xen product then Citrix's own dri=
vers would be the obvious choice.

> In what way is GPLPV letting you down? You asked about USB a while back..=
. I've made some progress there but it's still very much a work in progress.

Heh, I remember I tried the Citrix drivers on Xen a while back... that
didn't go well :D

While GPLPV seemed to work pretty well with my Xen guests, it
invariably caused a BSOD on atimkpag.sys (I think that's the spelling)
when I passed my Radeon 5850 through with IOMMU.  I really wish I knew
why, especially because it seems to work very well for Casey, albeit
on an Intel setup with a Radeon 6XXX model card.

If you'd like, I can offer my time and/or access to my hardware to
help debug the issue, but would definitely need some direction on
exactly what to do :P

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky