List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] pygrub questions from domU viewpoint
From:       Alexandre Kouznetsov <alk () ondore ! com>
Date:       2012-04-30 17:06:54

El 29/04/12 15:10, John Griessen escribi=F3:
> I have a virtual server Xen domU rented and want to be able to
> change kernels. The provider, thrustvps.com offers so little support, it
> is hard
> to make any progress, so I am wondering what you can find out from the
> domU perspective about booting?
Not much. The booting process is too much dependent of the boot loader. =

If you can't interact with it, you can do nothing with confidence.

> So far, any change to kernels in /boot/grub/menu.lst won't boot. That's
> a big hassle
Is your /boot/grub/menu.lst taken into account at all or it is not (Dom0 =

provided kernel)?
What are the changes you have tested?

> because once it won't boot, they provide no way to restore from my
> backup, at least, not with a generic account.
Maybe they can give you a access to VM console, to monitor/alter the =

boot process? Xen have a standard way to export the console, as VPS =

customer you should expect to be able to get access to it. Once done, =

you may do whatever you wish to Grub with a good confidence.

(don't CC me, i read the list)

-- =

Alexandre Kouznetsov