List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] XCP graphical display on VM
From:       Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse ! net>
Date:       2012-04-26 12:48:48

rhino64@postmail.ch wrote:
> Hi All,
>       I plan to use Xen (most probably XCP) to virtualize
> two servers: one running OpenBSD, the other running FreeBSD.
>
> These both servers will be running more or less headless (at least
> without any graphical environment). I would want
> to add a third server (most probably a Debian Squeeze or Freebsd)
> to have a desktop (light, probably IceWM or XFCE).
>
> The physical machine will have VTx but not VTd.
>
> Is a such solution possible with Xen ? I don't understand
> exactly if it is possible to have one DOMu with the control of
> a VGA display (1600x1050 by 16 or 24 colors) or if the control
> of VGA display is reserved to the DOM0.

The obvious approach is to run an x-server in Dom0, at which point, with
proper configuration, any of the DomUs can put windows onto the display.

You might also try the following:
- log into Dom0 from your console (presumably the VGA display)
- use "xm console" to log into a DomU
- startx and see if your desktop environment comes up (I expect you'll
get some informative error messages about device mappings, that might
lead you to a configuration that works)
Please report back - my servers are all headless, or I'd try this
myself.  You've got me curious.

Miles Fidelman