List:       xen-users
Subject:    Re: [Xen-users] graceful windows guest shutdown/restart
From:       Nathan Goulding <ngoulding () voxel ! net>
Date:       2011-12-27 20:34:36

On Dec 22, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Nathan Goulding wrote:

> > Am 22.12.2011 19:00, schrieb Nathan Goulding:
> > > Specifically: "One of the big problems of Windows XP under Xen is that Windows \
> > > Setup chokes on Xen's ACPI, and thus you have to disable ACPI for Windows Setup \
> > > to work." Anyone know if that's still a problem?
> >
> > I've not found this to be a problem when running Windows Server 2008R2 (as it \
> > comes with SBS 2011 Standard, German); that setup runs properly, and I haven't \
> > seen reboot problems like you mentioned. Most probably, SBS 2011 already comes \
> > with some form of patched Windows, so I'd take this report with a grain of salt.
>
> At this point the success rate of installs is ~5% and declining as I attempt more \
> things for reliability. Interestingly enough, once Windows 2008 R2 is installed it \
> seems to work fine with the settings I have in my vm config file. xm reboot, xm \
> shutdown -wR, and rebooting from within the guest OS all work. Just the install \
> that causes a problem.
> FWIW, the storage backing is iSCSI with a block-iscsi script and some modifications \
> to XendDomainInfo.py and qemu-dm to account for that.
> Also, there seem to be myriad power control options and actions \
> (xen_extended_power_mgmt, xen_platform_pci, pci_power_mgmt, viridian, acpi) but I \
> can't seem to hit the sweet. Can someone with knowledge of Xen explain how it \
> handles power control and its interaction with Windows?

As an update to anyone out there with a similar problem: It's necessary that the \
GPLPV drivers be pre-installed for Windows Setup to complete with sysprep'd images. \
Windows Setup will consistently fail on Xen's ACPI if they're not.

So it would appear that the old wiki's statement that "[o]ne of the big problems of \
Windows XP under Xen is that Windows Setup chokes on Xen's ACPI, and thus you have to \
disable ACPI for Windows Setup to work." is still accurate for Xen 4.1. Since with \
Server 2008 it's not possible to disable ACPI you have to install 2008 manually (i.e. \
from CD/iso), then install the GPLPV drivers, then sysprep, then you're good.

-Nathan