List:       xen-ia64-devel
Subject:    Re: [Xen-ia64-devel] Grub for ia64
From:       Tristan Gingold <Tristan.Gingold () bull ! net>
Date:       2006-09-26 15:24:53

Le Mardi 26 Septembre 2006 16:58, Bjorn Helgaas a écrit :
> On Tuesday 26 September 2006 01:11, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > Le Jeudi 07 Septembre 2006 21:07, Bjorn Helgaas a écrit :
> > > On Tuesday 05 September 2006 05:45, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you want grub to replace elilo
> > > in general?
> >
> > This is not my concern.  Distribs choose
>
> Sure.  But why did you decide to port grub to ia64?  A preference
> for grub config files?  A particular feature of grub that elilo
> lacks?  Is grub's design better in some way?
Basically elilo lacks grub compatibility :-)

elilo:
+ well tested
+ good EFI integration
+ netboot
- difficult to add a new option
- some options are broken with xen (root=) because they are prepended

grub:
+ easy to extend
+ used by fedora/RHEL (also they use grub 1.0 and my work is on grub 2.0)
- no netboot yet

In fact I have looked on grub because:
* HP suggested it (because fedora uses grub)
* It was more easy to port grub than to add a new file loading on elilo.

> I'm not trying to discourage you from working on grub or elilo.
> I'm just trying to understand the benefits of having two projects
> that do basically the same thing.

Tristan.