List:       xchat-perl
Subject:    Re: Patch to add functionality to 1.5.2 sources.
From:       Adam Langley <agl () linuxpower ! org>
Date:       2000-05-28 10:45:53

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 03:38:58PM -0400, Francis Litterio wrote:
> 4.  When the "Old-style Nickname Completion" preference is checked (see
>     #2 above), pressing the nick-completion character (e.g., TAB) again
>     after completing a nick cycles through other nicks.  This is actually
>     the documented functionality according to the help string for the
>     "Complete nick/command" function, which reads: "This command changes
>     the text in the entry to finish an incomplete nickname or command. If
>     Data 1 is set then double-tabbing in a string will select the last
>     nick, not the next".

I haven't looked at Xchat for quite a long time (been doing other stuff) but
it certainly *used* to do that, I don't know when it broke . When I wrote that
comment:
	* You hit tab to complete a nick - it would complete to the first match
	* You then hit tab or shift-tab to cycle up and down the nick list
	* This gave weightings to the nicks so it would select the right one
	  next time

for example:

Nicks:
Hello1
Hello2
Hello3

He<tab>		-> Hello1
<tab>		-> Hello2
<tab>		-> Hello3
(Opps, too far! wanted Hello2)
<shift-tab>	-> Hello2

Now:

He<tab>		-> Hello2

(it kindof learns)

I know it's broken in recent Xchats (pre GNU-style completion). I don't know
when and I'm too lazy to fix it. So well done

AGL

--
90% of generation[x] will always think that generation[x+2] are too liberal.