List:       xchat-discuss
Subject:    Re: Big memory footprint
From:       "Frederic L. W. Meunier" <linux () olympiquedemarseille ! org>
Date:       1999-12-31 2:21:01

On 1999-12-30 (Today) at 20:40 -0500, Alexandre Blanchette typed:

| Yes I do use Gtk+ themes (as virtually GNOME/Gtk+ user do),
| but the problem is that I installed X-Chat with the binary
| RPM, and if I have problem with the RPM, then one can
| assume that many people might have the same problem.

The problem is that binaries aren't allways good. I allways
recompile stuff if I see a problem when I upgrade a library.
Running binaries that were compiled on another machine running
other libraries may be a problem.

| I don't any problem to recompile a source, but I know
| linux-newbies aren't all enjoyed at the idea of
| recompiliing a program. Given that X-Chat is targeted to
| linux-newbies (among others), it might be good to fix.

Easy! ./configure; make; make install. It's easy for any newbie
it they start reading the docs too. If they get the src.rpm
it's just rpm --rebuild, and install the binary. I really don't
see what to fix if the problem is with the RPM. It'll work OK
on RedHat 6.1, but I'm not sure about 6.0 or other RPM based
distributions.

| P.S.: what i meant in my first post wasn't that xchat
| crash, it only consumes lots of memory.

I know, and the problem really seems to be with GTK+ themes. At
least I see a lot of people reporting problems with it. Try to
run X-Chat without any GTK+ theme. It may be a problem in
gtk-engines, why not? If it happens again, compile yourself
1.3.9 and play with it using your GTK+ theme. I'm using X-Chat
1.3.9 compiled ONLY with GTK+.

BTW, irssi, another IRC Client, have a workaround for GTK+
themes eating all your RAM. You see, there are problems with
themes.

--
Frédéric L. W. Meunier [Tel: +55-21-620-7173 - Niterói-RJ Brasil]
fredlwm@{olympiquedemarseille.org,appwatch.com,urbi.com.br}

-