List:       xaudio-sdk
Subject:    Re: [xaudio-sdk] <1 second audio, again
From:       jon bird <news () onastick ! clara ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-08-12 8:54:15

In article <PPECJKNKLDJLKJPKPPIOGEEPDAAA.ken@gesn.com>, Ken Clark
<ken@gesn.com> writes
>I tried this, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  I hope I am not
>doing something stupid.  Using the XA_Player class, I have done the
>following in my subclass:

here's what I've found (it might be useful).... Despite the EOS message
arriving _before_ the actual physical end of the audio I use this as the
point I load the next 'clip' into the player and issue the play command.
To my mind this should be okay - the delay is the buffering of the
output stage so as it finishes - the next clip's audio should just get
queued up into the o/p buffers. I don't issue a stop or a pause though
because this will crop the end of the sequence.

This works, almost 100% of the time with mp3's, wav's seem to upset it
though. I have a couple which _always_ get the end chopped off for
reasons which are unclear to me.

Short (<1s) also don't work - as we have seen - when I queue them they
seem to disrupt the whole sequence (again .wavs are the worst). In a
sequence of:

short wav
long wav
short wav

The first wav will be part played before being interrupted by the
second. This too will have the end chopped off in order to start the
final one.

However, the DRAIN/PING/PONG method does work in that the samples are
played completely with no residue effects in the buffers but I don't
think it's particularly helpful if you are trying to play a seamless
sequence of samples.

The other thing of note, is that I get differing effects depending on
the platform I'm running on - for example my laptop (Win98,SE) plays
things a good deal better than my P266 desktop upstairs (also Win98, SE)
with SBLive for reasons which aren't apparent.

--
== jon bird - software engineer
== <reply to address _may_ be invalid, real mail below>