List:       xaudio-sdk
Subject:    Re: [xaudio-sdk] using xaudio sdk for a university project
From:       "Nicolai Buch-Andersen" <nicba () mip ! sdu ! dk>
Date:       2001-05-05 16:06:13

Danial Ranjha wrote:

> I am working on a mp3 player as a project at school. Is it feasible to use
> xaudio for this project or do I need to look into something smaller/simpler.
> Any suggestions are welcome.

wheter or not xaudio is fit for a school project depends on many things. Amongst \
others:

1) The scope and focus of the project (is you simply to make a player or to study \
mpeg compression technology?)

2) The language and compiler you plan to use

3) The functionality of the mp3 player you wish to make

It is fairly simple to make a simplistic player which can load in a single mp3 file \
and play it. Examples on this comes with xaudio in both VC++ and Delphi code. Its \
also fairly simple to extend this to support playlists.

But the more advanced features are little documented and if you want precision or \
visualization there have been reported some problems with buffers causing small lags \
in the feedback of xaudio (but not the actual audio output).

Hope this helps

Regards

Nicolai Buch-Andersen,
nicba@mip.sdu.dk