List:       xaudio-sdk
Subject:    Re: Re: [xaudio-sdk] Jitter during first couple of seconds
From:       subs () telus ! net
Date:       2001-11-27 5:18:58

From:           	Lincoln <lsilk@telus.net>
To:             	xaudio-sdk@mpegtv.com
Subject:        	Re: [xaudio-sdk] Jitter during first couple of seconds
Date sent:      	Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:36:54 -0800

On 26 Nov 2001, at 22:02, jon bird wrote:

To:             	xaudio-sdk@mpegtv.com
From:           	jon bird <news@onastick.clara.co.uk>
Subject:        	Re: [xaudio-sdk] Jitter during first couple of seconds
Date sent:      	Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:02:19 +0000

> In article <3BFE2B75.1330.4F7666E@localhost>, subs@telus.net writes
> >I am using Borland Delphi 4 and Xaudio 3.2.9.5 and the audio test
> >application I made runs perfectly at home.  No stutter and good
> >quality playback on a 10 minute mp3 recorded using an Xing
> >encoder.(I know Xing is bad)
> >
> >When I run my program at the college it loads the file but stutters
> [...]
> I found something similar with the app I'm writing using xaudio, in my
> "buglist" I wrote at the time:
>
> > MP3 files encoded other then 44khz _may_ not play
> >properly - the symptoms seem to be a 'stutter' at the
> >start of the track and a 'wrap round' effect where
> >upon completion, a snatch of the beginning of the track
> >is played.
> >
> >This problem was seen after I converted many of my .wavs
> >to mono mp3s @22khz using my P266/SBlive machine,
> >but it's not occuring on a 500mhz laptop running the same
> >OS.
>
> Do the problems occur with 44khz encoded MP3s as well?

I didn't notice a "wrap round" effect, but it might be there.  All of the
mp3s are encoded at 44khz, but they are all mono files.  I wonder if
that is the root of the problem.  The machines at the college are
celeron 300's and my machine at home is a PIII - 450.  I just tried
to convert a mono mp3 to stereo by converting to wave first with no
success, it came out a mono.  I will try to make a few mono mp3s
from stereo ones and test those out.  Thanks for the input, Jon.

Lincoln Silk
subs@telus.net