List:       xalan-dev
Subject:    Re: xslt problem (Number formatting)
From:       David_Marston () lotus ! com
Date:       2000-10-30 21:21:18

"JAX" writes:
>I have a problem in formating numbers i have to transform an xml
>document into another xml document but one of the numeric in the
>first xml must be transformed...<number>3214567</number> [must
>become] <number>321:4567</number>...

You will probably be able to do this with the format-number()
tools described in Section 12.3 of the XSLT spec. More analysis
is needed:
Determine if <number> fields on the input are always integers.
Determine maximum and minimum number of decimal places.
Determine the rule for positioning the colon.

For example, if all <number> fields are seven digits, all
integers, and the rule is to place the colon between the third
and fourth digits, then you could make the colon be the
"grouping-separator" in the format.
.................David Marston