List:       xalan-dev
Subject:    Re: misc issues
From:       mclinden () informed ! net
Date:       1999-12-27 15:15:03

Hmm.  My reason for asking was that I cannot get Cocoon to work using
the latest CVS builds of xml-*. The Cocoon servlet comes up ok, but most
of the pages end up with type="text/html". I assume that this is because
the XSL processor is either not being invoked or not completing
successfully.

Since there are no error messages with Tomcat, I was using the ability
to generate the documentation as a verification that Xalan XSLT is working
(kind of a quick and dirty "regression" test for CVS changes).

I guess a safer strategy would be to use the snapshots rather than the
CVS files for a build. But I guess that does beg the question as to how
often
CVS committed changes are actually tested against a full build to make
sure that nothing is broken?

Also, I am concerned (based upon the problems that I and others are
having), that successful builds are HIGHLY dependent upon the contents
and ordering of CLASSPATH which is outside the scope of the development
tree. Given the rapid evolution of the software and the various
interlocking
dependencies (and the fact that few of us can afford to have "clean"
systems
for every new build), I tend to hard code my CLASSPATH for the builds
so that I always know what CLASS libraries are required and in what order.

For now, though, I guess I'll work with the snapshots. Thanks.

Sean