List:       xalan-dev
Subject:    Re: What does popRTFContext() do?
From:       keshlam () us ! ibm ! com
Date:       2011-06-20 12:51:13

--=_alternative 0047A071852578B5_Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"

> I would not use XML and XSLT for PDF document pagination.
> I instead use XSLT to convert XML into a LaTex markup language and then
> let the underlying troff/groff processors generate the actual content
for
> printing and publishing.

For what it's worth, something very similar to that was the original
intent for XSL -- use XSL Transformation (XSLT) to render the document's
content into the XSL Formatting Objects (XSL-FO) language, and then use an
XSL-FO processor to produce the actual on-screen or printed
representation.

Apache does have an XSL-FO implementation which can produce PDF output,
though it has been years since I tried using it:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/

"You build world of steel and stone
I build worlds of words alone
Skilled tradespeople, long years taught:
You shape matter; I shape thought."
(http://www.songworm.com/lyrics/songworm-parody/ShapesofShadow.html)