List:       xalan-c-users
Subject:    RE: Xalan Xpath Caching
From:       david_n_bertoni () us ! ibm ! com
Date:       2004-08-10 19:59:05

> Um, forgive me, but I'm a little dense when it comes to interpreting
specification language
> like that, so I still can't quite tell the answer to my question...

The primary purpose of this mailing list is not to answer questions abo=
ut
XPath or XSLT, but to answer questions about using Xalan-C.  Any good
XPath/XSLT book can explain the concepts.

> Based on what you've said, and my example,   if "B" is the context no=
de,
and I want to select
> a child called "3", do I use "B/3" in the xpath expression, or just "=
3"?

First of all, let's rename the element "3", since that's not a valid
element name.  The XPath expression "B/C" is a relative XPath expressio=
that means "from the context node, find all the B element children, the=
n,
find all of the C element children of those B element children.  The
resulting node-set is all of the C elements that were found."

Dave=