List:       xalan-c-users
Subject:    Re: "Arg list too long" error
From:       david_n_bertoni () us ! ibm ! com
Date:       2004-01-15 16:48:49

The typical workaround if your platform has this problem is to use a
symlink to bring the directory "xml-xalan/c" higher in the directory
structure (perhaps in your home directory), or to build the library outside
of the source directory, but in a directory that is higher in the file
system.  In both cases, the paths to the object files will be shorter, and
you may be able to link.

Xalan 1.7 will do things a bit differently, so you should not have this
problem in the future.

Dave

                                                                                      \

                      Shiva Mamidisetty                                               \

                      <shiva.mamidisetty         To:      \
xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org                                                          \

                      @abbnm.com>                cc:      (bcc: David N \
                Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)                                                \

                                                 Subject: "Arg list too long" error   \

                      01/15/2004 07:30                                                \

                      AM                                                              \

                      Please respond to                                               \

                      xalan-c-users                                                   \

                                                                                      \

Hi

I have downloaded the Xalan 1.6 version on Tru64 unix and started to
build it.
Iam getting errors while compiling with gmake.

Any suggestions?

The following is the output of the compilation error:

cxx -O -DNDEBUG    -DXML_BITSTOBUILD_64   -DTRU64 -ptr
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/obj/.cxx_repository -ieee
-pthread -std strict_ansi_errors -nocxxstd  -c
-I/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/src
-I/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xerces2_3_0/xerces-c-src_2_3_0/src/
-I/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xerces2_3_0/xerces-c-src_2_3_0/include/xercesc
-I/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xerces2_3_0/xerces-c-src_2_3_0/include/  -o
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/obj/XalanEXSLTString.o
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/src/xalanc/XalanEXSLT/XalanEXSLTString.cpp

/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/obj/XalanEXSLTCommon.o
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/obj/XalanEXSLTMath.o
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/obj/XalanEXSLTSet.o
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/obj/XalanEXSLTString.o -o
/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/lib/libxalan-c.so.16.0
gmake: execvp: cxx: Arg list too long
gmake: ***
[/nfs/rodan/home/shiva/xalan/xml-xalan/c/lib/libxalan-c.so.16.0] Error 127