List:       www-p3p-public-comments
Subject:    [fwd] [Moderator Action] Cookies
From:       Rigo Wenning <rigo () w3 ! org>
Date:       2001-10-26 21:06:46

----- Forwarded message from Morris <morris@AtlanticBT.com> -----

From: "Morris" <morris@AtlanticBT.com>
To: <www-p3p-public-comments@w3.org>
Cc: <malda@slashdot.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:32:01 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [Moderator Action] Cookies
> From rigo  Fri Oct 26 22:55:09 2001

P3P,

If a site uses a Logon ID & Password, there is nothing that I am aware of that \
cookies are necessary for (except tracking cross-site usage and multiple users of the \
same computer) that I can't do at least as well using State values saved in a server \
side database.

Sure, server side state retention is a little more complex to implement, but it's not \
that hard.  And by doing so, I am retaining State about the User, not the computer \
the User is currently at.  As the user moves from home, to office, to laptop, I \
retain access to their State data.  Cookie systems do not.

So why do I find sites claiming that P3P says they should use cookies?  You write on \
your hard drive and I'll write on mine.  I'll read from my hard drive and you read \
from yours.  I will send to you what I want you to know and you will send to me what \
you choose to let me know.  That's privacy and security.  If I can read from and \
write to your hard drive, then it's at least an order of magnitude harder to ensure \
security and privacy.

If you grant someone the right to read from & write to your hard drive, then the \
Crackers will exploit that access.  It's so much easier to lock the door than to \
guard the open doorway.

Morris

----- End forwarded message -----