List:       wuftpd-questions
Subject:    Re: anonymous-root not working !!!
From:       CHarris () checkfree ! com
Date:       2003-05-13 14:47:55

you possibly have the password file cached.  if you are on an HP box and
are running 'pwgrd', (ps -ef | grep pwgrd) the method you are attempting
will not work.

you can either discontinue pwgrd, or implement the '/./' hack.

non HP boxes have a different program that caches the password file, i'm
sure someone here can provide that name.

Chris Harris
Software Engineer
Transmissions/Translations
charris@checkfree.com
Phone: (678) 375-1343
Cell: (678) 595-7790
Pager: (888) 561-2876
Fax: (678) 375-2004

The #1 Way to Pay Online
http://www.checkfree.com/paybillsonline

                      Rajesh Somasundaran
                      <rajeshs@india.hp.com>         To:       WUftpd-Dev
                      Sent by:                        <wuftpd-dev@wu-ftpd.org>, Wuftpd-Questions
                      owner-wuftpd-questions@         <wuftpd-questions@wu-ftpd.org>
                      wu-ftpd.org                    cc:
                                                     Subject:  anonymous-root not working !!!

                      05/13/2003 08:38 AM

Hello,

I face some problem with the anonymous-root clause. It doesn't seem to work
as expected. I have the following entry in the ftpaccess file.

anonymous-root /home/ftp

The /home/ftp/etc/passwd file contains entry as follows:

ftp:*:500:10:anonymous ftp:/pub:/usr/bin/false

(I have ensured that ftpd reads the ftpaccess file)

What happens when I do ftp as anonymous user is that it leaves me in
/home/ftp (i.e; "/") and it doesn't place me in /pub ("/home/ftp/pub") as
expected. Is this a known bug? Or am I doing something wrong here? Here is
my complete ftpaccess file:

======================>
class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

limit   all   10   Any              /etc/msgs/msg.dead

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all

log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

email user@hostname

anonymous-root /home/ftp

The entry in /etc/paswd file is as follows:

ftp:*:500:10:anonymous ftp:/home/ftp:/usr/bin/false

OS: HP-UX 11i
ftpd version: wu-ftpd 2.6.1

It would be of great help if somebody can throw some light in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Rajesh.