List:       wuftpd-questions
Subject:    displaying dot-files
From:       "Zoltan Milosevic" <zoltanm () xav ! com>
Date:       2002-08-21 12:04:28

Hello all,

I have wu-ftp version wu-2.6.1-20.  When my FTP client lists the
directory contents, files whose names begin with a dot are not shown
(.htaccess, etc).  I need to change this behavior.  I want "ls -al"
listing behavior whether the FTP client sends "LIST" or "LIST -al".

Does anyone know whether this can be done, if so how, and if not, can
anyone recommend an FTP server package that does?

Many thanks,
Zoltan

Background...

My FTP client is WSFTP95.  It sends the command "LIST<crlf>" and does
not have an option to make it send "LIST -al<crlf>" which would solve
the problem.  I need a server-based solution because 1) my favorite
client can't be customized and 2) other users shouldn't be bothered with
it.  I need wu-ftp to treat "LIST" as "LIST -al".

When I connect to my account at io.com, which has wu-2.6.2-5, I am able
to list dot-files after sending "LIST<crlf>".  My /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd
is identical to the one on io.com (both have "server_args = -l -a").  I
can't view their ftpaccess file so I assume they have some special
config option in there that controls this.

After some random web searches, I've tried placing the following in my
ftpaccess file:

lslong /bin/ls
lsshort /bin/ls -al

That didn't have any effect.  :|