List:       wuftpd-questions
Subject:    Quota Question
From:       qbprog () staticfx ! net
Date:       2002-06-30 2:19:20

Hello all.

This is just a question really. I have been toying with quota support for a
few days trying to get it to work. I have a few ideas as to what is causing
the problem but I am unsure how to fix them right now. I may figure it out
eventually but before I go on an impossible journey I would just like to
know if what I am planning on is possible. Currently (due to an error on my
part earlier on in my boxes life) I have 2 filesystems for extra things, one
for anonymous users, and misc web pages (quotas turned off for these) and
another filesystem for users (quota is on for this one) the filesystems are
/home and /usr. The trick is I currently mount the user directory under /usr
which is /usr/users into /home/users so I can then just chroot ftp into
/home and setup privilages/etc to manage accounts.

The actual question is if I chroot the users into /home is there any
possibiliy that quotas will work (ie the quotas are on a different
filesystem than the chroot environment) and due to the way chroot works is
there a special place i have to put the quota files when in a chroot
environment? I kinda figure the answer to the first part is no since the
quota stuff is stored in files, and I thought chroot environments would
probably break a quota since the names on things have changed.

Also wondered if possibly setting up a chroot (into /home) and then putting
the quota files in there and running a quota on / while in the chroot would
possibly build a virtual quota system or something that was relative to the
chroot that would allow the daemon to read quotas even if the files were
mounted and not part of the real filesystem.

Thanks in advance for any input
Jacob Myers