List:       wuftpd-questions
Subject:    Re: guest-root vs. guestgroup and chdir ~ problem...
From:       "Matthew P. Marino" <mattm () citystamp ! com>
Date:       2001-09-30 13:19:14

on 9/29/01 3:27 AM, Gregory A Lundberg at lundberg@vr.net wrote:

>> When establishing guest ftp service for all of my real
>> accounts, I've found that the guestgroup "/./ hack"
>> (as affectionately referred to in the HOWTO addendum)
>> does a beautiful job of chroot() then chdir(~) for any
>> user logging in.  HOWEVER, setting guest-root and guestuser
>> in ftpaccess only gets me the chroot - users have to
>> manually cd to their home dir after login.
>>
>> When using guest-root and guestuser I do remove the
>> "/./" in /etc/passwd and no changes are made to the
>> /chroot()/etc/passwd file.
>
> Sun has a passwd caching daemon (drat, I forgot its name again).  If you're
> running it, disable it and retest.

  As a matter of procedure I always "cat /etc/passwd | grep usersname >>
passwd" in the ~chroot/username/etc directory whenever I make changes to
/etc/passwd. The passwd cache shouldn't get in the way. If the home
directory in ~chroot/etc/passwd is relative to the chroot it works
correctly, doesn't it....?