List:       wu-ftpd
Subject:    Re: multiple logins, REST
From:       Gregory A Lundberg <lundberg () vr ! net>
Date:       2000-07-27 10:53:18

On Mon, Sep 01, 2036 at 06:37:56PM -0700, Jim Roy wrote:

> I guess this has some serious implications for how many simultaneous
> connections I should allow.  With a very limited server capacity, I had
> this set quite low.  This one guy could easily eat them all in one
> sitting.
>
> Why on earth do they do this?

Some people think that downloading all 53,000 files from your server in
53,000 parallel connections is faster.  To a certain point they're right,
but after two or three parallel connections (for the typical V.90 user)
things degrade rather quickly.

Frankly, if I see someone doing that, I don't bother asking; I just ban the
IP address.

As for your limit: I find 40 to 50 as an anonymous limit is a good balance
between requests from users and machine resources.  (Actually, it was
arrived at by increasing the limit until I stopped turning people away and
watching to make sure the machine didn't go into swap).  A very busy site,
with a larger/faster machine might increase this to 200 or more.

> What are the REST's for?

They're a probe to see if the server can handle restarting failed
downloads.

--

Gregory A Lundberg              Senior Partner, VRnet Company
1441 Elmdale Drive              lundberg@vr.net