List:       wu-ftpd
Subject:    Re: WU Performance Questions
From:       "Gregory A Lundberg" <lundberg () vr ! net>
Date:       2000-07-25 20:34:23

> I need to be able to determine the following before I can productionize my
> server to about 200+ users who will be retrieving files from my server at
> any given moment:

> 1) Has there been any diagnostics performed to determine the maximum number
> of users that can be on the FTP server all at once.

No, but 200 is well below the limit many people have, so you should have no problems. \
Actually, the limit controlled more by the host hardware, OS and bandwidth than by \
the daemon.

> 2) While at the maximum is there a test that can be done to see the
> performance on the server in retrieving or sending files?

No.

> 3) What restrictions are imposed on retrieving a multi megabyte file?
> example if a few clients come in to access  multi megabyte files all at the
> same time while other clients are trying to access smaller files what are
> the restrictions imposed on the clients ?

Depends completely upon the OS's capabilities.  The daemon source code _should_ be \
able to work with largefile support, but some people have had to do some tweaking.

> 4) Would I need a dedicated T-1 line for these 200+ customers ?

Probably.

> 5) Is bandwidth a problem for the multi megabytes files?

Of course.  As it would be for lots of requests for little files.

--

Random thoughts:

None of your questions really have to do with the FTP server itself.  The answers are \
all determined by the hardware, OS and bandwidth.

If possible, take a look at colocating the server.  Often times you can get far \
better than T1 for far less cost.  For instance, if you're in Ohio, I know of a place \
where you can get a 100Base-T connection to an OC3 backbone for a tad over $200 per \
month per machine.  Compare that to the $2000 to $5000 per month for a T1.