List:       wu-ftpd
Subject:    Re: Anonymous Upload Problems at rev 2.6.1
From:       Bob Luckin <bob () dal ! asp ! ti ! com>
Date:       2000-07-20 22:32:56

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 02:28:12PM -0700, Don Saul wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm new to the list.  I've
> searched some old archives but couldn't fine anything pretaining to this
> for vers 2.6.0 or 2.6.1
>
> For the last year or so, we have been running a sucessful Anonymous FTP
> site using ver 2.4.2 on a Solaris 5.7 server.  I recently upgraded to ver
> 2.6.1 and have been unable to have anonymous users upload successfully.
>
> Anonymous users get the error: Permission denied on server. (Upload)
>
> when trying to upload files to pub/incoming.
>

> I've tried several variations on the "upload" clause in ftpaccess but so
> far nothing.  If I go back to version 2.4.2, everything seems fine again.
>
> I also tried version 2.6.0 and got the same problem.

If you look at the CHANGES file included with 2.6.1, I think you'll see there
are a number of references to the upload stuff.  I seem to recall that the
upload clauses in 2.4.2 were broken, and did not work as they were supposed
to.  A number of people were getting the results they wanted, but with the
wrong commands in the ftpaccess file.

They were fixed by the time 2.6.0 came out, and this would explain why you
no longer see the same behaviour.  (Gregory will correct me if my memory
is faulty on this - I know there was one set of commands which didn't work
as they should and got fixed and I'm pretty sure it was in the area of upload
and noretrieve.)

Have you checked the upload.configuration.HOWTO file in the doc directory
included with the distribution ?  This has been updated, and should reflect
the way the comands are supposed to work now.

If the commands in your ftpaccess match what you think they should be after
checking the HOWTO, then make sure you didn't compile with the PARANOID
option set, as I think this disables uploads by default.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Bob
--
Bob Luckin      bob@ti.com      "Coder, adapt; FTP Ada, redo C"