List:       wu-ftpd
Subject:    /etc/group
From:       "Chip Downs, Webmaster" <wuftp () momo2000 ! com>
Date:       1999-01-28 1:55:09

I have followed the wonderful instructions at
ftp://ftp.fni.com/pub/wu-ftpd/guest-howto for the guest howto and have
everything working, but have a question.

In step one it says to ad the following line to /etc/group:

client::400:mort

We have several hundred customers and I don't want my /etc/group turning
into
client::400:userid1,userid2,userid3,...,userid999,...

In addition, in steps 3-6 we create a ~userid/bin and ~userid/etc with
~userid/etc containing the group and passwd files of two lines each.  As
long as we do this, do we really need to put every userid in our /etc/group
file?  I tested it without putting a userid in the /etc/group, but leaving
the userid in the ~userid/etc/passwd and ~userid/etc/group file.

Will I have any security concerns by not adding every userid to the
/etc/group file?

Also, I'm interested in the on the fly compression and tar...Is there any
documentation talking about the advantages/disadvantages of this and how it
works?

Thanks,
Chip Downs, webmaster@momo2000.com