List:       wss4j-dev
Subject:    RE: [dev-crypto] Bug in Cipher class - workaround found!
From:       <Michael.Davis () servicecanada ! gc ! ca>
Date:       2007-07-24 14:30:48

Hi all,

I finally got my code working.

To recap, I was having trouble using secret key encryption in Rampart. More \
specifically, the trouble appeared to be related to the JCE cryptography library when \
using IBM's Java and WebSphere. I was getting a ClassCastException and some of you \
were helpful to suggest that it was a class loader problem.

I did write a custom classloader and used it to force the loading of the BouncyCastle \
classes, but that didn't seem to help - I still got the same error.

So I changed org.apache.security.encryption.XmlCipher such that now it uses the BC \
lightweight API instead of going through JCE.

I understand why this is not desirable as it creates a dependancy from xml-security \
to BC. But for me, it's a good enough fix for now.

I also changed a class in wss4j to not throw an exception if it can't find a keystore \
file, as I'm providing the secret key in a call back class and I'm not using \
certificates.

So now I've got it working the way I want it. I don't need to install certificate \
files on the client or server, and I don't have any JCE problems, so when it's time \
to deploy and I have to send my .ear file to the nasty department across town that \
will host our app, I'll be more confident that there won't be any issues.

It has been a lot of fun getting to know all of this code. Everything I've seen looks \
well written.

cheers,
Michael Davis
Ottawa