List:       wss4j-dev
Subject:    AW: key size and algorithm choices...
From:       "Dittmann, Werner" <werner.dittmann () siemens ! com>
Date:       2005-10-18 6:19:54

Ron,

because you are talking about a keypar I assume you would
like to use public key encryption?

In that case the minimum key size IMHO is 512 bit strength
RSA. However, using only 512bit RSA puts constraints on the
size of data you can encrypt (max. 64 Byte). This may not be
enough to e.g. wrap a session key using RSAOAEP mode, thus I
recommend to use 1024bit RSA. In any case, using public key
algorithms add time, as security does in general.

Regards,
Werner