List:       wss4j-dev
Subject:    Extending WSS4J to the new OASIS specs
From:       Werner Dittmann <Werner.Dittmann () t-online ! de>
Date:       2005-08-30 20:09:48

All,

while looking at the new OASIS WSS specs and the new functionality
described I figured out that we have to deal with new namespace
URIs again. The namespace URIs shown in the specs are provisional
URIs - they will change for the real finished version of the specs.

Currently we provide some backward compatibility for old
WSS specs. This is cumbersome and error prone. In addition it is not
fully implemented because some backward compatibility issues
are not really solved. When we are going to introduce new
namespace URIs we will get even more problems. Also this
backward compatibility complicates the code. I would like to
get rid of these code elements. We should point out that these
old namespaces were _never_ a real standard.

I would propose that for the next version we
- support only the OASIS V1.0 specs and the relevant namespaces.
- add the provisional namespaces for the upcoming version

After the next version of the WSS specs is finished, we do one
release with the provisional namespaces and another release (with
a new release number) with the then fixed namespace URIs. Doing
so we could save a lot of coding while retaining some
backward compatibility using a n-1 release.

Any ideas? Anyone around that requires the old namespaces?

Regards,
Werner