List:       wpkg-users
Subject:    Re: [wpkg-users] Vista
From:       Pendl Stefan <stefan.pendl () haidlmair ! at>
Date:       2009-04-27 21:04:23

Chris Wilcox wrote:

> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Chris Wilcox schrieb:
>
> > > I have no experience with Vista, still no need to use it.
> > > Best is to try on a test system, there is nothing that can get broken.
> > > Start with something simple and advance.
> >
> > How does running WPKG at shutdown affect packages that need a reboot? If
> > there are multiple package installs pending, and package1 reboots the
> > PC, does the shutdown process get triggered straight away and package2
> > install continues, or does it wait for the user to initiate a shutdown
> > the next day?
>
> The reboot will happen as you specify it in package definition; reboot
> doesn't depend on WPKG being launched on startup, shutdown, or in the
> middle of the user session (i.e. in Administrator's cmd.exe window).

> Chris,
> a reboot is usually needed to remove locked files, since you are shutting down the \
> machine, there is no reboot needed. The system will do the necessary actions at the \
> next boot.

I'm being finickety and I apologise :)

I have some apps which in themselves trigger a reboot (our antivirus product for \
example).  If there is this then a 2nd package listed for install, I assume that the \
2nd package will not get installed until the next shutdown and this shutdown will not \
be triggered by wpkg as it is only running at shutdown?

I mainly ask because I am still trying to decide which is the best option for me: \
wpkg at start-up or shutdown, and so far having it run at start-up still seems the \
better option.

Chris

I think, that subsequent packages will get installed, since you can not force a \
reboot, if you are already shutting down, but I might be wrong. As always, checking a \
test case on a testing system is the only way to be sure, a virtual machine is the \
easiest, I do it this way ;-)

---
Stefan