List:       wireshark-users
Subject:    Re: [Wireshark-users] Difference between Wrong timestamp and Out of
From:       Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2011-04-02 9:08:41

Hi,

In RTP streams "Wrong timestamp" means that the timestamp received in the packet
isn't what was expected. Of course expectations need to be based on something,
in this case the RTP profile, codec, packet size, etc.
Wireshark is good in detecting these for straight forward PCM A/u-law streams,
but other profiles are not supported. This shows when there's Silence
Suppression, RTP events or other codecs involved. With video streams again
you'll run into the same issues. This story applies to "Out of seq" as well.

Thanks,
Jaap